If your old heater is showing its age, then you should replace it with a new unit. A new system will have the ability to provide you with better performance. It will improve the comfort of your home and it will operate more efficiently.
When looking for a new heating system, figure out how much you can afford to spend. It is important to what your budgetary limits.
Heating system prices can span a wide range. However, more efficient units tend to be more costly. One of the many advantages of a more efficient unit is that it pays for itself through reduced home heating costs. So, you want to weigh your options carefully.
Begin your search through all avenues available and gather all the information that you can get to make the right decisions. For example, you should figure out the proper system size, the feasibility of adding an air cleaner, and other pertinent matters. If you are building a home, then you may want to consider what type of fuel your heating system should use.
Gas Vs. Oil Heating System: What Are The Differences?
Table of Contents:
When selecting a heating system for your home, one thing that you must spend a lot of attention on is the fuel choice. Will you be going with oil or natural gas? Several factors will affect the decision, including cost, efficiency, and system lifespan.
Lifespan Of Gas Vs. Oil Heating Systems
Heating systems are not cheap, so it makes sense for homeowners to hope that they last long. Whether they do or not will be dependent on the quality of the heating system and the regularity of maintenance work. The type of fuel will also be a significant consideration. Gas furnaces routinely last for up to 15 years. While this may sound decent, oil furnaces are even more impressive with twice the expected service life.
Energy Efficiency Of Gas & Oil Heating Systems
Winters can be bitterly cold so you want a heater that can be relied upon to warm up the home at a reasonable cost. Technological innovations have led to improvements in the energy efficiency of gas heaters, but oil heating systems are still superior when it comes to BTU output. This means that burning oil will generate more heat than gas so the house can get warmer while consuming less.
What To Expect For Heating System Costs
Every savvy homeowner will have to consider how it all works out in the budget. Looking at the cost of the two types of fuel, one can see that the variations are small, but the difference can still be substantial. The low cost of natural gas makes it an attractive option. However, the reduced consumption offered by highly efficient oil burners can offset this. Oil heating systems are also usually cheaper than gas-powered systems. The disparity between the initial outlay and the continuing costs between these two systems call for greater scrutiny. Some argue that it is far better to save with the upfront cost and enjoy the energy efficiency provided by oil. Others might go the other way. Natural gas prices can go up to levels that make it far too costly. A calculation of long-term expenses can shed more light on the matter.
Other Considerations Of Heating Oil & Natural Gas
- There Is An Abundant Supply Of Heating Oil: One thing going for oil is that the supply is at a high level on a global scale. Reserves are at their highest, so there should not be any worries about shortages which could drive the prices up. The US is also in a good position to weather any storm given its reduced dependence on imports and its varying sources for supplies. There are hundreds of millions of barrels currently held in the Strategic Petroleum Reserve for any emergencies. There are also renewable biofuels that are further stabilizing the supply. In contrast, natural gas production on the domestic side is finding it difficult to stay on track given the rising demand. It also is not renewable and the bulk of existing reserves are located in other countries. The US may have to rely on imports soon which could mean higher natural gas prices.
- Heating Oil Is Not Necessarily More Costly Than Natural Gas: The price of commodities fluctuate over time and vary according to the region. This is true for oil and gas with the historical data showing that heating oil was actually cheaper than natural gas in certain areas for over two decades. Those who are dependent on gas face an uncertain future given the increasing global consumption of this nonrenewable energy source. Supply can soon dwindle while prices go up. It is possible to convert heating oil systems into natural gas but the process is a costly one that involves a lot of work. Some estimates peg it at $9,000.
- Heating Oil Is Eco-Friendly: Oil production has gone a long way from being a leading cause of pollution to having nearly zero emissions, thanks to improvements in technology. More enhancements are on the way including low sulfur blends with biofuels that result in cleaner options. As long as proper maintenance is observed, oil heaters can burn fuel cleanly. The soot produced remains in the tank instead of mixing into the air. In contrast, natural gas systems are responsible for almost a fifth of total global methane emissions. This makes it a major contributor to global warming which scientists are desperately trying to stop.
- Innovations In Heating Oil Technologies Are Making It A Highly Attractive Fuel: Engineers continue to develop innovative technologies that are making heating oil systems burn fuel cleaner and more efficiently than ever before. Efforts at making oil behave better for machines and for the environment are also underway. Thanks to these improvements, fuel consumption among oil-heated households has dropped by as much as 33.6% in the last three decades.
- Heating Oil Is A Safe Option: Homeowners are understandably concerned about the safety of their properties and their families. Using heating oil is a good move since it has a high tolerance for heat. It only vaporizes and ignites at 140 degrees. You will not have to worry even if you drop a lighted match into a container filled with oil because the flame will go out once it touches the liquid. The same cannot be said of natural gas which is explosive by nature.
- Hot Water Supply Will Not Be A Problem With Heating Oil: If you will use heating oil for this purpose, then you can expect a recovery rate for hot water that is double the speed on natural gas heaters and thrice as fast as electric heaters.
- Heating Oil Provides Better Control And Greater Options: Natural gas is often distributed by a single large utility company which means that options are limited when looking for a supplier. On the other hand, heating oil companies are greater in number so people can pick and choose according to their needs. Competition leads to better services and more flexibility. The amounts and scheduling can be discussed with each provider. The supply will be delivered to the house and stored there under your control.
- Heating Oil Supply Is Less Troublesome: Natural gas delivery relies on a pipeline which could suffer from leaks and other problems. Interruptions can take time to fix. On the other hand, oil can be stored safely on a tank in your property which will always be there no matter what. You can monitor the level and control the flow.
- Heating Oil Companies Allow You To Control Your Energy Costs: Fuel prices will rise and fall throughout time. It is quite low right now but homeowners and oil companies are not taking chances. They are offering flexible pricing plans so that people can protect their budgets in case of major fluctuations. Payment plans are also available to make the cost more bearable. Those who are trying to reduce their spending, even more, can try out various discount offers from oil delivery companies. Natural gas suppliers do not usually have the same amount of options for their clients. Another thing to take note of is that heating oil companies can provide many services for households. These include tune-ups, repairs, and many more. Therefore, it is clear to see that heating oil is so much better in terms of the product and related services.
The Better Home Heat Council or BHHC is here to educate homeowners about the benefits of heating oil. Thanks to this fuel, people can enjoy better efficiency and economy. Our team can also help consumers who want to identify and resolve problems related to energy efficiency. We can recommend affordable solutions that can effectively address their needs.
We provide full support to Leigh Valley oil companies that give consumers a wide range of options in terms of products and services. Work with us to find the right supplier near you.
Get in touch with the Better Home Heat Council if you have questions concerning the available options in home heating oil delivery, fuel costs, or HVAC system services. Contact us right now.
For questions and concerns concerning your HVAC system or oil delivery, click here to contact us today.